Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Ethiopia-Day 2

Vince and I started our second day much like the first.  We ate breakfast at the hotel and quickly left for our orphanage to spend the day with Yonas and Yosef.  We ended up having a very emotional day there.  Yonas was feeling much better and played a lot more.  Both of the boys seemed to be more relaxed with us, and we were able to spend some time with just the two of them.  Throughout the day, it weighed on my mind that I would have to say good-bye to them knowing it would be several weeks before we would see them again.  I tried to enjoy every moment. 

One thing that happened for us was a surprise visit from their birth mom.  As soon as she arrived, Yonas and Yosef went to her and hugged her.  One of the older boys told me in broken English who she was, and I immediately went to her.  The tears began to fall...I just wrapped my arms around her and told her how much we loved her.  We were able to talk with her for quite some time and learn quite a bit about their family.  She wanted to make sure we knew how much she loved her children.  She is a very hard worker but is unable to provide for them.  Their father died about 3 years ago from a heart attack.  She tried to do what she could to keep her family together.  She told us she prayed that God would send a family that would love her children and provide for them and he did!   She said God has given her a peace about the situation.  She asked if we would send her pictures occasionally.  Of course, we said we would be honored to keep her in their life as much as we can.  When she dropped them off at the orphanage in May, she visited the boys 3 times a day every day.  I could see the enormous love and selflessness she has for them.  It was a wonderful gift to have that time with her.  When our time with her ended, I felt so much peace.  God gave us such an incredible meeting with her. I decided that I wanted to keep our pictures with her private, but I will say that Yosef looks just like her!  She was a beautiful woman inside and out.




Getting ready for a spin

Yonas


Yonas getting tickled.  All of the children loved being tickled!

Both of them were very good at soccer


Below are some scenes that we saw on our way back to Addis




Ethiopian Air Force Base



Day 3 was our court date.  More on that to come!

Kelli
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! I love reading about your trip. So glad you got to meet mom....that is priceless! Praying for as embassy date!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brittany for your kind words. We are now just waiting...patiently:)

    ReplyDelete